Pages

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

DEADFALL by Linda Fairstein

DEADFALL
by
Linda Fairstein

            A little more than ten months ago, I reviewed the then latest Linda Fairstein novel, Killer Look (see review dated August 31, 2016). Although I love Fairstein’s Alexandra Cooper series, I was ambivalent about Killer Look. But, Fairstein pulled the rug out from under her readers in a stunning move at the end of that book. Despite any misgivings I might have had about the book, I could not wait to read more of Alex’s story. Thankfully, I did not have to wait too long, and it was well worth any amount of waiting.

            Deadfall, the next installment in the series, will be released on July 25, 2017. The book essentially picks up where Killer Look ended, right after the Fairstein bombshell that rocked our world. Alex is a witness on this occasion; but, is she also a suspect? Or, a target? Or, is she the deadfall? What is going on? Whatever it is, the investigation is moving too slowly for Alex, so, with the help of Mike and Mercer, she is determined to get to the truth. Her inquiries take us into the world of endangered species, big game hunters (what really happened to Justice Scalia at that Texas ranch resort?), and the illegal trade of animal parts. Along the way, we learn about the history of the zoos in New York, although the investigation has national and international aspects as well.

            I absolutely loved Deadfall, from start to finish. It is an unrelenting fast-paced, gripping adventure. The plot is complex and convoluted. I do not feel like I was able to follow the reasoning that Alex used to reach the conclusion, but I attribute that to reading too quickly. I plan to go back and reread the book and hope to be able to fill in these gaps.

            It has been awhile since a book took hold of me at the get-go and did not let go until the end (actually, this one didn’t even let go at the end). Deadfall is one of Fairstein’s best.



2 comments:

  1. Out of curiosity, do you have a list of books you are trying to get through as you do your reviews? How do you choose your titles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana - I primarily select books to review based on what I like to read. Sometimes, however, I will read and review a book that an author has asked me to review.

    ReplyDelete