Pages

Monday, August 26, 2019

WHAT ROSE FORGOT by Nevada Barr


WHAT ROSE FORGOT
by
Nevada Barr

            As I am a huge fan of Nevada Barr’s Anna Pigeon series, I was intrigued by the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader copy of Barr’s newest novel, What Rose Forgot. I did have some trepidation as I began the book, as it is unrelated to Anna Pigeon, but I was pleasantly surprised.

            Rose Dennis is a sixty-eight year old woman who awakens, outside, and has no idea where she is, how she got there, why she is in a hospital gown, etc. In What Rose Forgot, we journey with Rose as she fills in the missing pieces.

            Although part of the impetus behind my agreeing to review Barr’s book is that I love and miss Anna Pigeon, I knew there would be no Anna. To my amazement, I found Anna in What Rose Forgot. Of course, Anna Pigeon is not in the book – after all, Rose is an artist, not a park ranger – but there are similarities. Rose, like Anna, is intelligent, resourceful, tenacious, and wholly underestimated by others. The two characters are not so similar that one would accuse Barr of simply recreating Anna with a new name; however, I can definitely imagine Rose standing next to Anna at the bra burning rally.

            What Rose Forgot raises some very interesting questions. In addition to the question of “who is elderly?” – it is difficult to believe that the spunky Rose is “elderly” at 68 – the more frightening questions for me concern dementia. Barr shows us how, once one has been given the label of having dementia, no one will believe even a rational, logical argument posited by that person. Everything stated by that person can be discounted – especially if that person is already considered to be “eccentric” like Rose.

            What Rose Forgot is very well done. A wonderful reading experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment