Pages

Monday, April 6, 2015

THE CONSTANT PRINCESS by Philippa Gregory

THE CONSTANT PRINCESS
by
Philippa Gregory

            The Constant Princess is the first in Gregory’s The Tudor Court Novels series. I listened to the audiobook at the same time that I began reading The King’s Curse, book six in Gregory’s The Cousins’ War series. As I stated in my review of The King’s Curse, I was very disappointed to find that I was reading and listening to virtually the same book, each telling the same story from a different point of view.

            In The Constant Princess, we learn the story from Catalina, a princess of Spain also known as Katherine of Aragon. From the time that she was three years old, Catalina knew herself to be the princess of Wales and future queen of England. She was married to Arthur, Prince of Wales and heir to King Henry VII, but he died shortly after they were married. By denying that she and Arthur ever consummated their marriage, Catalina then married Arthur’s younger brother, Henry VIII, and went on to fulfill her destiny as queen of England.

            I am not a big fan of Gregory’s writing. Nonetheless, she was able to convey, in The Constant Princess, what a resourceful woman Catalina was and what a remarkable queen she became as Katherine of Aragon.

NOT RECOMMENDED/RECOMMENDED

No comments:

Post a Comment