Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

A SEPARATION by Katie Kitamura


A SEPARATION
by
Katie Kitamura

            She is married to Christopher, but they have been separated for six months. Christopher made her promise not to tell anyone, so when his mother, Isabella, called and asked, she simply told her that she did not know where Christopher was. As Isabella was worried about Christopher, she bought the wife a ticket to Greece and booked her a room at the hotel where Christopher was staying. And, she went – ostensibly to find her husband to ask him for a divorce.

            I did not like A Separation. The unending use of commas rather than periods, and the resultant run-on sentences, drove me crazy. The failure to use quotation marks to delineate dialogue was confusing. Perhaps this shows that I do not appreciate the nuances of contemporary “artistic writing,” but I found them to be distracting. In addition, I did not enjoy the plot. Although I was initially engaged with the wife, as the book progressed and she made what appeared to be unjustified leaps and presumptions, I became increasingly alienated. Not only did I not enjoy this book, but my antipathy toward A Separation continued to grow long after I finished reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment