Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2024

IN TOO DEEP (Jack Reacher #29)
by
Lee Child and Andrew Child

    In Too Deep, written by Lee Child and Andrew Child, is the twenty-ninth installment in the Jack Reacher series. The expected publication date for the book is October 22, 2024.

    Reacher awakens in the dark, restrained and in pain, with no idea where he is or how he got there. He later learns that he had been a passenger in an automobile accident, but he had no recollection how he came to be in the car to begin with. Reacher finds himself in the midst of a band of criminals, and he needs to quickly figure out what had led to the accident, what the group is planning, and how he can stop their nefarious plans. 

    I have been a longtime fan of Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. When Andrew Child took over the writing, I was initially appalled; the Reacher portrayed in the co-authored books was not the same character I had followed for so long. I decided to try one more, with In Too Deep, and I am glad that I did.

    The Reacher found in this latest book is closer to the character I grew to love and continually follow. The writing is certainly different. This book especially feels a bit more confused than usual, and the beginning is different than older Reacher books. While reading In Too Deep, I sort of felt like I had been dropped into the middle of the story, having missed the first part. But I wonder if this is intentional; Reacher received a head injury, leaving him confused and unable to remember the first part of the story himself. So, although In Too Deep is different, I found that it nonetheless works.

    In Too Deep is not my favorite Reacher book; however, it is probably my favorite Andrew Child Reacher book. I am happy to have the "normal" Reacher back and look forward to his next adventure.

RECOMMENDED


No comments:

Post a Comment