Pages

Friday, June 6, 2014

THE REFLECTIONS OF QUEEN SNOW WHITE by David Meredith

THE REFLECTIONS OF QUEEN SNOW WHITE
by
David Meredith

            Most of us know the story about Snow White; most of us know that she and Prince Charming lived happily every after. But just what is that “happily ever after”?

            In The Reflections of Queen Snow White, David Meredith leads us through Snow’s and Charming’s “happily ever after”. Not only do we get the inside scoop on that question, but Meredith also shows us some of the never before revealed details of the goings on between Snow and her stepmother.

            We learn all this, ironically enough, through Snow’s stepmother’s “Mirror Mirror on the wall” – that magical reflecting glass that continues to hang, forgotten, on a wall in Snow’s castle. What Snow White learns from her reflections includes how, in a way, she is doing to her own daughter what had been done to her. When she emerges from her reflecting, Snow comments: “I took a good long look in the mirror….”

            When I was originally asked to review this book, I was reticent, as so many classics and fairy tales have been sullied of late, by authors trying to modify or expand them beyond their original covers. But, Meredith’s novel, although fairly short, is very clever.

            One negative about the book, in my opinion, is the writing. Although Meredith’s writing is, basically, very good, he seems to have an aversion to commas. This may seem like a petty complaint, but commas are a big deal to me, and there is a dearth of them in this book. The teacher in me feels like I need to sit Meredith down and teach him about the comma.

Other than this personal foible, I found The Reflections of Queen Snow White to be well written and very clever. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience with this little book!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED


            

No comments:

Post a Comment