Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2017

SEASON OF STORMS by Susanna Kearsley

SEASON OF STORMS
by
Susanna Kearsley

            Celia Sands is a young up-and-coming British actress who was named after another, unrelated Celia Sands. This other Celia, Celia I, was also an actress and was the mistress of Galeazzo D’Ascanio, an Italian poet. D’Ascanio’s final play, written for Celia I, was never performed as Celia I disappeared on opening night. Now, D’Ascanio’s grandson, Alessandro D’Ascanio, has decided to stage a production of his grandfather’s famous last play. He wants the current Celia Sands to play the lead.

            The play is to be performed at D’Ascanio’s private villa, on Lake Garda, and directed by Rupert Neville, one of the two men whom Celia considers to be her father. Famous actress Madeleine Hedrick is cast in the role opposite the lead, and there has been bad blood between Hedrick and Celia’s famous actress mother. Just a little bit of pressure and drama for an aspiring young actress starring in a leading role for the first time.

            Season of Storms is quintessential Kearsley. The book is well written, the characters are complex and well-developed, and the plot is engaging. As is typical of Kearsley, the book moves back and forth between Celia I’s time and the time of the current Celia.


I thoroughly enjoyed Season of Storms, though I must confess that at times, as Celia unravels the mystery of Celia I’s fate, I found parts of this book to be very scary. I am a huge Susanna Kearsley fan, and Season of Storms did not disappoint. It is masterful, and I highly recommend the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment