Pages

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

THE MEDICAL EXAMINER by James Patterson (with Maxine Paetro)

THE MEDICAL EXAMINER
by
James Patterson
(with Maxine Paetro)

            The Medical Examiner is one of Patterson’s BookShots, a series of short novella-type publications that can be read more quickly than a full sized novel – a pared down book that is intended to entice non-readers. This particular BookShot involves Patterson’s successful Women’s Murder Club series.

            Two people were shot and killed in a hotel room and taken to Claire’s morgue. Upon hearing a noise, Claire discovers that one of the two is still alive. Patterson and Paetro lead us through the investigation.


            In my opinion, The Medical Examiner is poorly written. Although the plot is engaging, the dialogue, for example, felt simply descriptive – a recitation of “he did this”, “she went there”, and the like. I enjoy the Women’s Murder Club series, and this BookShot gave me the opportunity to visit that world briefly. However, I think that the paring process has left this particular BookShot wanting. Although the book is decent for what it is, I wish Patterson had turned the plot into a full sized novel with better writing. I applaud the series – I think Patterson’s intentions with BookShots is commendable – but, I think that with this particular book, quality has taken a backseat to convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment